Sunday, October 09, 2005

I can't believe it's October already!

As of today, the five of us are starting our sixth week with our first orchestra assignments. In some respects, I feel like we’ve just arrived at Aspen – yet that was clear back in June!

In any case, my first orchestra stop is with the Detroit Symphony. Thus far, my experience has been absolutely wonderful. I have a work-plan lined up, detailing the majority of the projects I hope to accomplish while working here with the DSO. I am working on various projects with every single department within this organization. This gives me a great feel for the inner workings of the DSO. In addition, I’m fortunate that I’m getting to know a good number of musicians and board members. The best part for me is being able to hear the variety of perspectives offered within this organization – from the staff, the musicians, and the board – then seeing how these perspective all work together to make a collective whole.

The concerts here are spectacular! This year is unique for the DSO – both the Music Director (Neeme Järvi) and the Principal Guest Conductor (Itzhak Perlman) have concluded their tenures with this organization. Because of the lack of these positions, in some ways this is “the year of the orchestra” in Detroit. Everyone has turned their complete attention towards the orchestra. To highlight this, the DSO's Performance magazine containts a center tear-out section which contains pictures and bios of each musician in the orchestra. There are a wide variety of guest conductors visiting, and each brings a different sound and character out of the orchestra. Regardless of who is conducting, the orchestra’s quality never waivers – the concerts are continually spectacular.

As I sign off for this posting and get ready to enjoy the last warm days of fall, I’d like to invite you to ask any questions you may have about this program (or the application process) to either my colleagues or myself. We would be happy to answer any questions you may have.